Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for June 9


One of the best things about having my column is that I get to share information about all of the local businesses/entrepreneurs in our community, of which there is certainly no shortage! I do not mind putting in a plug here and there for these kinds of things because they’re important. This is a beautiful, but remote island, and we need to be self-sufficient (as much as possible). So please, if you would like me to write a little blurb about what you have to offer (no personal ads though, although I could look into doing another column!), email me at whiteravenreturns@gmail.com.
This week I would like to rave about a hidden star in the community. Hip-hop producer, Tycoon (known to most as William Russ) has perfected a new album of beats and from what I’ve heard, they’re a hit! If you haven’t heard them at Morgan’s Clothing Store in Charlotte or at Haala Ga Taa restaurant at the Kaay Centre, then maybe you should look them up online at myspace.com/bigtybeatdowns. If you’re an artist looking to lay down some rhymes, email him and who knows, maybe a collaboration will be born.
If you’re a lover of books, like I am, you should head over to the Kuugin King Naay library and borrow some. What’s in it for you, you ask? Well, other than the wonderful experience of reading a book, you may win one to keep. Yes, every time you return a book, your name will be entered into a draw. I didn’t know of this until I won the draw for May! The library will be open June 9th, 9am – 4pm, June 14th (same hours), and June 16th, 9am – 12pm. Hurry and get your books, though, because it will be closed from June 17th – 27th. The QCSS Hangout Prize Draw will take place on June 29th because SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER! Woohoo!
I bet everyone’s schedules are booked up already for the summer months, but I hope you can make lots of time for the beach. Bring your own chairs if you head to Jungle Beach, though. The picnic benches were reported vandalized (smashed) this past week. I hope incidents like this do not repeat themselves over the next few months. The volunteers there work hard to make it a beautiful place for everyone, local or not, to hang out. Please respect our beaches, clean up after yourselves, and put out all campfires. Hawa’a.
I’m sure most people have a spot on their calendars for the music festival, as well. I still have not been to it but maybe I’ll get lucky this year! There will be a workshop on June 11 & 12th at the Fire Hall in Tlell to make paper lanterns. I was told these lanterns would be used to decorate the festival so I really hope I get to see it. The cost is $15 and begins at 9:30am.
Everyone is welcome to celebrate the 37th anniversary of Skidegate United Church on June 12th, service at 11am with potluck lunch to follow. There will be old friends, familiar faces, and lots of great music.
Congrats to all of the soccer players who took part in the big tournament in Tlell this past weekend. My nephew’s team won 3rd place! Yay! The weather was mostly agreeable and the Kettle Corn was amazing! (Skidegate Days is coming up – someone should book them!)
And last but not least, the birthdays: Happy Birthday to Cole Sankey who celebrated on June 2nd, and best wishes to Lila Ridley who celebrates on June 11th. And a long distance birthday wish to Anne Goulet, celebrating on June 8th,  who is away from our islands but still very much in our hearts (come back soon!).

No comments:

Post a Comment