Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for July 21


I still have a bit of excitement buzzing in my ears leftover from Skidegate Days. It was my first time at the event, and honestly, I can’t say I know much more about it than before I went. The reason? I was trying to co-ordinate the mass amount of pies and desserts that were donated for the Pie & Coffee Booth. Hawa’a to everyone who baked up a storm, and hawa’a to those who couldn’t bake for us (no really, THANK YOU! We had far too many things to sell in the end). We had a tremendous turnout, and though I was exhausted by the end, I was glad to have helped out. I was a bit nervous to have taken on such a venture, but with the help of Pearle, Liz, Ivy, Mavis, Gwen, Olga, Ron and Thelma, we made it work!
I did manage to sneak in a break during the Canoe Races. I was very proud of the Girl Power team, and sister-in-law Carla Russ, who had an amazing time of 5:37 minutes. Not bad for a girl’s team remarked Willie. I jabbed him and asked what on earth that meant. I think it was mere sibling rivalry more than male chauvinism because his team was up next. They also did well coming in at 5:14 (I think, please correct me if I’m wrong). Skidegate Days was definitely a showcase of athletic talent, including Bruce Haralson won the Totem to Totem Marathon and many other worthy participants who crossed the finish line shortly after.
Don’t think for a moment things will get dull now that the big event of the summer is over. If you didn’t have a chance to make it to Willie Russ’ Loonie/Toonie Auction and Dinner on Wednesday evening but would still like to make a donation toward his trip to the SCMC music conference he will now be attending in Washington, D.C on August 29th, email him at carvingshedstudios@gmail.com. We had a great turnout and hawa’a again to everyone who donated auction items and their time to help get him one step closer to realizing his dreams!
There will be a baby shower for Royal Warner Funk on July 24th at the Kaay from 2-4pm. And more excitement at the Kaay, on July 29th for the launch of That Which Makes Us Haida-The Haida Language book will take place at 7pm. The book features beautiful portraits of fluent Haida speakers by noted photographer Farah Nosh. There will also be a screening of Sinxii Gangu-Sound Gambling Sticks. Come and be inspired!
Also, now is the time to get your tickets for the Edge of the World Music Festival! The early bird gets the worm and in this case, pays less. Check out the QC Visitor’s Centre, the Crow’s Nest, Bayview Grocery and Masset Grocery for advance tickets. Check out edgefestival.com/information for ticket prices and more. Featured artists this year include The Odds, Jaffa Road¸Wayne Lavallee, Doug Koyama, The Sweet Lowdown, Hilary Grist, and more. Another event I haven’t been to, so maybe you’ll see me there! They are still looking for volunteers, so please check out the site for that info as well.
And last but not least I’d like to send birthday wishes to Randy Tennant who celebrates this week, along with Calida Erickson who will celebrate on July 24th. July Babies rock! And so ends a very action-packed week, and I hope everyone has fully recovered from the Skidegate Days Dance. While some people were nursing hangovers the day after, someone was missing their smile – thanks to the good people at Taaw Naay for displaying them in hopes of finding their owner!

No comments:

Post a Comment