Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for April 21


Eighty percent of success is showing up, says Woody Allen. This is what I kept telling myself as I prepared to walk 10K from Balance Rock to Miller Creek and back this past Sunday. I showed up to each training session, did some of the suggested training during the weeks, and wrestled myself out of bed and into my long-johns and sneakers the morning of. I was scared I wouldn't make it to the finish line. I had never even thought of walking that far in one go before. Another quote popped in my head; Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts (John Wooden). Long story short: I made it! With the motivation from Bev Yovanovich and the sheer stubbornness which I come by honestly, we crossed the finish line and collected our cookies. Congratulations to everyone who participated in this year's Sun Run, and a big hawa'a to Sue and Robyn for organizing the event. Great experience but boy am I going to enjoy sleeping in next Sunday!
I hope everyone made it to the Co-op sale this week. I'm trying to save up stickers for another knife before the promotion is finished but I just found out that if you have all the knives you need, you can donate the stickers. The Adult Day Program received a beautiful knife set from Co-op thanks to all the donated stamps from the Coast Guard. I'm sure they will put them to good use cooking up fabulous meals during the weeks to come.
During our last Lenten discussion on April 22nd, the ladies from Skidegate United Church told me of a wonderful movie that had been shown at Queen B's the night before called DISSOLVE. The movie is a must-see for teens, but really, everyone should watch it. It showcases one woman's account of drug-induced sexual assault which left her with no memory of the event. The culprit: GHB. Megan Gardiner has won many awards for her work in this field and did a live show at the Skidegate Community Hall on April 15th. I attended, not knowing what it was, and left completely shaken. As a victim of sexual assault, I could relate to the performance, and I strongly believe we need to give victims everywhere a voice. Erase the stigma. Open communication. Make this world a safer place for our children. A very big hawa'a to the ladies of the Islands Women Society for hosting such an important event. If you are interested in borrowing this film, please contact them at 250-559-4743. You can check out more information about this film at http://www.dissolvethemovie.com.
On a happier note, the Hltalga Strengthening Families program is in full swing and if any elders would like to join us on Monday evenings 5:30pm – 8pm to share in a meal, help entertain the kids, or share their life lessons with the group, you're more than welcome. We will be having our third session on Easter Monday!
I feel bad for the guys working on the new teen center through the many hail storms we've had this past week. Wishing you warm and toasty thoughts in the coming weeks. I'm excited to see how it looks when it's finished.
Please keep Liz Williams in your thoughts as she recovers from heart surgery in Vancouver this week. I hope Mopsy isn't missing her too badly. And I can guarantee you the cat isn't missing Mopsy at all.
And last but not least, there are a few birthdays to celebrate this week. Mike Alton celebrates on April 20th. Happy belated Birthday to Alex Rique (April 3rd), and Happy Birthday to Michelle “Mouse” Russ on April 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment