Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for April 7


So, April Fool's Day is done and I thank you for taking my advice. I have yet to hear of any mean-spirited pranks! I did hear some of the kids at school fell victim to their teachers' ideas of a good prank but nothing too drastic. I forgot it had been the day of trickery until Nancy O'Higgins mentioned she was wary of having our discussion at the Senior's Room in Charlotte that day because if anyone was going to pull something, she figured it would be me. Yup, I have lost my touch. Sleep deprivation and diaper changing have taken the place of most of my devious schemes. However, this little Raven will come up with something fantastic for next year – if I remember!
I would also like to apologize to Alix Goetzinger who did not celebrate her 13th birthday last week, but her 15th. I am not sure where I came up with that number, but might as well start early. I, myself, will be turning 24 this year and not 26.
Spring is a time of celebration. A crocus blooms, we celebrate. A daffodil opens, we celebrate. A warm sunny day, we celebrate. However, spring has also brought another kind of celebration to the island. The celebration of life. Our community has suffered more loss in the past week, first “Whip” Wilson, Skidegate, and Noni B, Masset. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends, and I hope a celebration of their life and the strength of our communities can help ease the pain of mourning during this time.
I would also like to celebrate, this week, a man who spends his spare time serving his community and island by picking up the trash so many of us leave behind. Kevin Gibson, from Charlotte, is known to travel as far as Miller Creek in search of trash in ditches, on beaches, and wherever else it may end up. A big hawa'a to you, Kevin, and I challenge all residents of Skidegate, Charlotte, Tlell, Port and Masset to do your part and pick up trash where you see it. Go for a walk with your kids or your partner. Take a bag and do your part. It's easy, sometimes fun, and if you pick up some cans, you might even make enough for a coffee afterward.
Or, you could save your can money and spend it at the big CO-OP sale on April 20th. I have been told it will be BIG and to watch for the flyer detailing all of the goodies up for grabs. Maybe I will man-up this time and go early. I tend to chicken out at those sales because the aisles are so tiny and long-time residents of Skidegate are vicious! Haha, just remember, if you plow me down at the sale, you won't have anything fun to read in the coming weeks.
You might want to check out some books at the Kuugin King Nay library just in case, though. Not only to safeguard against boredom in the case of bodily harm at the sale, but they will be closed for the latter part of April. They will remain open on Sundays 2-8pm with the Homework Club, excluding Easter Sunday, and will host a wonderful Easter Egg Decorating party on Saturday April 23rd  from 1 – 3pm.
And lastly, the birthdays of the week. A very Happy Birthday goes to Diane Brown (April 1st), Pearle Pearson (April 2nd), Tina “Babe” (April 4th), and Norm Moraes (April 6th). If you have any birthdays, announcements, or events you would like added, email me at whiteravenreturns@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment