Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for June 23


I hope all of the Dads and Chinnis had a wonderful Father’s Day, complete with breakfast-in-bed, foot massages, bubble baths, sparkling champagne, chocolates. Wait – that’s what I want for Mother’s Day next year. Oops! Okay, let’s try that again. I hope you all had a wonderful day full of bacon, eggs, meat and potatoes, dirt, tools, fishing and/or golf. Better? Haha. However you spent it, I’m sure it was great. Willie survived another year as a Dad, and therefore earned his second Father’s Day. I couldn’t use Noora as a present again this year, so I upped the game with a yummy pancake breakfast with old-fashioned brown sugar syrup (yes, I know...not the best choice for healthy eating, but it’s what he wanted). A delicious lunch at the Crow’s Nest followed the church service led by yours truly (Nancy O’Higgins must have had faith I could do it...get it, faith? Ha). Jenny Cross brought her drum and helped us welcome the day, so I’m sending her a big Hawa’a (gotta love those who make you look good!).
So back to the healthy eating thing, I’m sure Robyn and Donna won’t be too pleased as they spent a lot of time on Friday schooling me in the art of healthy eating for diabetics. I went merely for information sake, and I learned a lot. We had a good group for the Diabetes Discussion Map, but new people are welcome! We will be covering healthy eating and lifestyle changes to help manage diabetes this Friday, June 24th at 1:30pm in the Charlotte Medical Clinic lounge. There is a dietician, as well as the two lovely nurses, so bring your questions, even if off-topic, and leave armed with knowledge. Call  559-8477 to register.
So, what can you look forward to this week in Skidegate? Well, as usual, the Kaay Center has lots of events coming up. What would we do without it? On June 24th, at 7:30pm, you can find out how Gwaii Haanas inspires artists with featured speakers.  To wrap up your weekend, stop by on Sunday June 26th at 2pm and take part in a multicultural bonanza that will showcase the rich diversity here on Haida Gwaii. It is a potluck event, so whip up your favourite cultural dish (it doesn’t have to be your own culture) and bring your dishes! Call 559-4100 for more information.
And if that weren’t enough excitement in one place, Terri-Lynn Williams-Davidson will be releasing a new cd at the Kaay, Tuesday June 28, from 7-10pm. There will be show-stopping performances by both she and the Rainbow Creek Dancers. There will be a reception, and plenty of time to make a purchase! Don’t miss it. For more information, email info@ravencallingproductions.ca.
I am looking forward to Skidegate Days this year. It will be my first time there, as it was with Hospital Days, and will be with the Music Festival (fingers crossed), and I’m very excited. I will keep you posted on those events as they come closer. If you have any events you would like listed, please do not hesitate to email me at whiteravenreturns@gmail.com or stop me in the street, I usually have a pen and paper in my pocket (just like a real journalist)!
And last, but never least, the birthdays; I want to wish Nancy Wesley a very happy but horridly late birthday (June 10th). Mavis Mark celebrated her sweet sixteen, well almost, on June 19th.
Happy Aboriginal Day, everyone, and I hope many of you made it to the fire ceremony in front of S.H.I.P Tuesday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment