Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for April 28


I hope everyone has managed to shake themselves out of their turkey comas and back into their skinny jeans – wait, make that comfy jeans that stretch a little. I, for one, do not wish to eat another turkey until at least Thanksgiving. Nope, scratch that, I want Christmas in July for my birthday. Three months recovery should be enough! I attended a dinner with friends, with family and another with the Hltalga:SFP on Monday April 25. You can clearly understand my current disdain for the beloved holiday star.
Did anyone take part in the Easter Egg hunt in Charlotte on April 24th? I did not make it but I heard it was lots of fun. Noora helped her cousin, Antony Amero, paint eggs and enjoyed eating the hard-boiled insides after the hunt. I, on the other hand, didn't have to go very far to find eggs last week. On Thursday, CHN delivered fresh k'aaw to members in the community and I happened to be one of them! Hawa'a to SBC and the crew of Haida Shadows for the gift. I'm still “new” here, so the first thing I did was run to phone Brenda (Russ) and ask what the heck I should do with it! I'm still scared of things from the sea unless they are already in something tasty. Laugh it up, people, the Nova Scotia gal is scared of seafood. Hmph! At least I eat it now. Noora has inherited the Haida Gwaii love of tasty ocean treats and spent the weekend munching on dried k'aaw, sharing now and again with Dad and Dexter. If I can't handle a bag of k'aaw, I'm not sure how I'll do when handed a fish to cut up. I'll keep you posted.
In sports news this week, well, I'm not going to bother reporting on the Canucks because I'm sure it's old news, but our Saints team returned from a tournament in Kamloops. They played well, making it to the finals, but did not bring home the trophy. Congrats, anyway, to the boys and their coaches. The hard work and dedication to the game shows. Go, Saints, Go!
Pearle Pearson partied it up with the whole village on April 23rd to celebrate her 85th birthday. Friends and family honoured her with speeches, singing, and a special presentation of a birthday tiara. The food was fabulous and she was full of smiles when I saw her Easter morning at church. She had a great time so hawa'a to everyone who made it happen!
And more celebratory news; Chloe Sosick made her debut at Skidegate United Church Easter morning for her christening. The service was wonderful and the church was packed. It was nice to hear so many voices singing along and it helped hide the few mistakes I made while playing!
Wow, so many events coming up this week. There is a coffee house showcasing some photos from the Gr. 12's adventure in Europe at the Kaay April 29 at 7pm. If you're quick, you can speed up to the Legion Hall at 7:30pm in Charlotte to hear Marilyn Bowering read from her new book. On Saturday at 7:30pm there's a Sea Otter presentation at the Kaay. For moms & babies, Mother Goose is happening Wednesdays at 1pm at the Skidegate Health Center. Remember, let me know of any upcoming events you want listed at whiteravenreturns@gmail.com.
And wishing a Happy Birthday to Taya and Aiden who turned 7 on April 17th, to Barb Robichaud who celebrates her 59th on April 20th, and to Angela Williams who celebrates hers on May 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment