Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for June 2


Holy crap! We’re into June, already! I think time must go by much faster when you’re a new mother, because I swear we just celebrated Noora’s birthday. Valentine’s Day. St. Patrick’s Day. Easter.  Mother’s Day. Hmm, well that does account for the missing time, but still; time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.
I have had a lonely week with my mother and sister safely back in Nova Scotia. They did leave the dog, who is keeping me from my goal of “watching my mouth” due to little ears. If anything, I could easily make a sailor blush on a daily basis. I hope this potty-training/I-can’t-hear-you phase is done SOON. Otherwise, Noora will have quite the vocabulary for a toddler. Ha, and once the dog is fully trained, it’ll be Noora’s turn to push my buttons. Oh boy, what was I thinking? Good thing they’re cute, hey!
Before I get into any news, I’d like to challenge everyone reading this to be a tourist for a day. It’s amazing what you will find and see. When my family was here, I finally made it to Tow Hill/North Beach, and Agate Beach. I’ve been here over two and a half years and there are so many things I have yet to see. We have had such great weather lately, too, so there’s no excuse not to pack up for a weekend excursion. Let the kids pick, or if you’re brave, let your partner (unless they have a lame sense of adventure, then it’s perfectly fine to choose for them – it’s for their own good). Be spontaneous. Leave home hungry and find a new spot to eat. I recently happened upon a vegetarian restaurant/health food store in Masset and had the best chickpea curry ever. If you happen to head to the Trout House and find it’s closed (as I also did recently), find an old favourite and pick a new dish. There are plenty of ways to have a good time here. Now, if only someone would start up a drive-in movie theatre like we have at home. Might look good up where Striker’s used to be, any takers?
On a more serious note, I wish to send my condolences to the family of Ronald “Wow” Williams who passed away this past week. A celebration of his life was held in Skidegate on Monday May 3. Hawa’a to everyone who showed their support. I did not know him, but from what I’ve heard, he touched the lives of many and will be deeply missed.
I thought I would mention again some of the various ways you can be lazy and have someone cook for you – hey, summer is coming and there’s a lot to be done. New to Skidegate is the fabulous hot dog stand being run by Sera Russ. Keep your eye on Facebook to see where she’ll be next. If you need bread, give Gail Russ a call (559-4519). She has white or 7-grain bread available on weekends for $5/loaf. Nancy O’Higgins still has turkey pies for sale at $4/each, proceeds going to Skidegate United Church, and boy, are they yummy (559-4559).
And last but not least, the birthdays: Denise Olsson would like to wish a Happy 3rd Birthday to her son, Lebron, who celebrated on May 28th. More belated wishes go out to Robert (Bobby) Williams (May 9th), Kathy Williams (May 10th), Harvey Williams (May 13th) and Georgia Williams (May 27th). And wishing a Happy Birthday to Kim Goetzinger and Kirby Jones who both celebrate on June 1st.
Oh, and check out toolgirl.com for all your weekend DIY projects. It’s my favourite. Happy June, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment