Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for August 11

And here we are, up to date yet again. Let's see if I can keep this up now that summer is winding down and the company will be all finished for the season (SAD but true...)



I’m exhausted as I write my column this week, as most people on-island are, I’m sure. The Edge of the World Music Festival has wrapped up for another year. I had full intentions of this being the year I went, and yet, the road just did not take me there. Taylor and I picked up some nice German people and instead of dropping them off in Skidegate (where we were headed Friday), we took them to Tlell so they would get to the festival earlier. Saturday we packed up a picnic lunch and headed up coast, only to decide last minute it was a perfect day to explore Tow Hill and North Beach. Sunday we went to church and then got sun-happy and spent the entire afternoon/early evening at Jungle Beach. I hope everyone who did make it to the festival had a great time. It seemed like a happenin’ place and the line-up was fantastic!
Last week I raved about a new place we ate at, Hidden RV. Well, I took Taylor there to experience the deep-fried Mars bars. They were sold-out. No! Well, as any East Coaster would do, we went to find our own and brought them back to the restaurant! They were super tasty. The new place I discovered this week was Moon Over Naikoon Bakery on Tow Hill Road. I’ve passed by the sign before but never went in to explore. Well, I was missing out on delicious bread and soup! We picked up some corn chowder to go, fresh loaf of bread, and some delicious goodies and off we went to our picnic on North Beach. Wow. Well worth the stop, as most of you probably already know. It’s just so fun to explore, especially when you have the excuse of an out-of-towner to show around.
We had the first service of the summer at Skidegate United Church this week as well. It was nice to see some familiar faces. Our Faith Adventure Camp was cancelled for this year but there are already plans to have it next year! Nancy and I are off to Prince Rupert for the National Aboriginal Spiritual Gathering August 19-21. It will be my first time away from Noora. I’m excited and nervous but I’m sure she and Dad will have lots of fun without me.
After a busy week of festivals and memorials, I hope everyone has a chance to relax. For those families who are mourning the loss of loved ones, I wish you peace and comfort. I, too, will be looking for some relaxation but I doubt I will find it this week. There is so much to do, so many things to show my friend, and an eighteen-month energy ball to run after. Ah, such is life. I’m excited to try out the Book and Bite travelling bookshelf, so maybe we’ll grab a burger at Island Burger House in Charlotte or go for a coffee at Jags Beanstalk!
For any of you who need a positive push to realize your dreams, Community Futures is putting on a workshop featuring the motivational tools of Walt Disney: The Dreamer, The Realist and The Critic. It takes place at the Skidegate Office, 191 Third Ave by the Firehall, on August 18 & 19 from 1:30 – 4:30pm. Show up and get some great information to help make some positive changes in your life!
And last but not least, happy belated birthday to Lisa Dignard who celebrated this past week, and Happy Birthday to Uncle Dwight Russ on August 15th.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome honey! I love you and keep up the good work, glad to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wishing for more of your posts :D Where are you?

    ReplyDelete