Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for August 4


Happy Fall, everyone! Confused? Well, so was I when I arrived in Tlell on Sunday, July 31. The Tlell Fall was in full swing when we arrived with Noora that afternoon. First things first, we went to inspect the farm animals and it took forever to see anything else; Noora was obsessed with the horse and the bunnies! Hmm, do I see a hobby farm in my future? I think so! It was my first time there and it was a wonderful experience. The entertainment was wonderful, food was tasty, and so many people braved the sporadic downpours and danced away to the music. I also was pleased to see the wide variety of fresh produce on display (Peter Rabbit would have loved the giant cabbage).
After the fair, we headed up to Masset to wish Chinni Reynold Russ a belated Happy 81st birthday (July 30). It’s always a fun time to go up the coast and we always have some type of adventure while there. This time, after a cruise up to North Beach while Willie, Noora and Nova snoozed in the car, we decided to follow our tummies to a new destination: Hidden Island RV Resort. The fish and chips were amazing and for dessert, I went out on a limb and tried the deep-fried Mars bar. Let’s just say, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried one. I’m always excited to find new places to see on-island. Who needs the fancy attractions of the main land?
This is going to be a busy week for me. As this goes to print, I will finally be in possession of my bestest friend, Taylor. Also, we’ll be welcoming back Nancy O’Higgins after her time away for studying. It’ll be nice to have her back but I just hope I find the time to clean the manse before she arrives. As the summer begins to wrap up, many visitors and loved ones will be returning to their homes away from the island, and I wish all of you a safe journey.
I would also like to reach out again for volunteers for Skidegate’s Fire Department. If you love your community and its’ people, don’t mind having a good time once a week (Tuesdays) and want to make this place safer, please sign up. The long-time members need a break! Not only are they busy training and responding to emergencies, they are out there cleaning up our community when no one else shows up (Hawa’a guys for cleaning up those cars before Skidegate Days!).  
Hawa’a also to the Skidegate Health Center who put on the wonderful fitness workshop July 28 & 29. Those of us who participated learned so much from Dr. Rosalin Miles and I hope we can get some fun new programs running in the fall. If anyone has any ideas, give the Health Center a call or email me (whiteravenreturns@gmail.com).
Also, I’d like to thank our handsome RCMP men for keeping this community safe. In the last few weeks there have been some arrests made for drug trafficking, and I hope there will be more. This community has too many beautiful children in it and I do not want to see their lives wasted with something as stupid as drugs. We need to stay positive and send a message that we’ve had enough. (Regardless, it’s not a bad thing to have handsome uniformed men around for any reason!)
And last, but not least, I have some birthdays to celebrate. Happy belated birthday to fellow July babies, Abby (7 years) and Reannah (6 years) who celebrated July 27th. Happy birthday also to Nadine Jones (Aug. 4th), Doreen Ridley (August 7th) and Mare Levesque (Aug. 7th).

No comments:

Post a Comment