Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for July 28


Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to...oh, sorry, I guess I got a bit too excited there because it’s my birthday! Not that I’m entirely pleased with this fact; what woman wants to get older? But if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! So, let’s shake it up this week and celebrate the birthdays first! I’m sharing my birthday week with a very sexy new member of Skidegate. His name is Iron Hide (no, ladies, he isn’t available. He belongs to Goox and Leah). And as with all Leos, he is beautiful, loud and just a bit too much! Happy 1st birthday and I wish you many more to come. Also, wishing a Happy Birthday to Gary Russ and Natalie Fournier this week.
If you’re looking for last minute birthday gifts, or perhaps are in need of a ticket out of the doghouse, Tanya Alton has just made room for some great new Avon products so give her a shout on Facebook, or give her a call!
I was going to go without ranting this week, but I just have a teeny tiny one so bear with me. Just after I wrote my column last week, I found out that Dave’s In the Village suffered some vandalism after the Skidegate Days dance. I find this sad not only because it is part of Nuni Pat’s (Gellerman) property, but because it is disrespectful. A few months back you may remember a series of break-ins. I know no community can be crime-free but really! I’m hoping once the Youth Center is up and running kids will have some more things to do to keep things like this from happening. Hawa’a to all those who are working their butts off to get ‘er done!
Be sure to check out the book launch for That Which Makes Us Haida-the Haida Language on Friday evening, July 29, 7pm at the Kaay Center. I’m looking forward to seeing all of the beautiful photos by Farah Nosh! The 240-page book and CD set include Jusquan Amanda Bedard, Lucy Bell, Nika Collison, Dr. Marianne Ignace, Dr. Jordan Lachler, Barbara J. Wilson and others. It’ll be an evening of celebration you won’t want to miss!
Also coming up is the Faith Adventure Camp at Skidegate United Church on August 8-12. It’ll be a great chance for kids ages 6-13 to get together to share in craft-making, song-singing, acting and snacks! Please call Mavis (559-4209) or Sandi (559-8797) or send an email to mavismark@hotmail.com to register. I’ll be helping out when I can and can’t wait to see what kind of fun these ladies have planned.
I hope Royal Warner enjoyed his party at the Kaay on Sunday July 24th. I had planned to go but ended up asleep with Noora instead. All this working out at the gym has made me sleepy! Haha. William Russ, aka Tycoon, had a very successful Loonie Auction this past week as well and will be off to Washington, DC to promote his music and his community at the end of August! See “Personal Notices” for his big Hawa’a! And WELCOME HOME Dena and Ed Russ. We’ve missed you! It’s good to know you’re back with friends and family in time to enjoy this burst of sunshine on Haida Gwaii. And last, but not least, this week I would like to wish Norm and Kristen Moraes a very happy 2nd anniversary on July 30th. Congrats!
Looking forward to the upcoming weeks, my best friend is coming to visit all the way from Newfoundland! I’m so excited. I can’t wait to introduce her to the wonderful Edge of the World music festival taking place August 5, 6, and 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment