Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Skidegate Socialite for July 14


I’m having a bit of trouble writing my column today. While making turkey pies to sell at our Pie Booth for Skidegate United Church, I sliced my index finger instead of a potato. Don’t worry, there’s no blood in the pies! They are delicious enough without it, haha. They will be frozen and for sale at $4 a pie and we will have lots more goodies available, so please stop by and bring your appetite! Hawa’a to everyone who will be donating a pie or two, and if anyone else would like to drop something off, we’ll be in our usual place by CHN. It will be a cash only booth as well.
So yes, Skidegate Days is upon us. I’m excited as it is my first chance to see what all of the fuss is about. There are so many events to take part in, I hope I don’t miss any. I’m not sure I’ll be taking part in the Coke guzzling contest, but it does sound intriguing! I’ll be interested to see the canoe races, though. Noora will most likely be most excited about the dancing. She is the newest (and youngest) member of the talented dance group, Hlt’aaxuulang Guud ad K’aajuu. I only caught the end of their rehearsal last week, but she is pretty darn good at the Chief’s Dance already! Such a proud Mom am I.
If you’re up for more excitement after Skidegate Days, there will a Loonie/Toonie auction for William Russ in the next week (keep your eyes out for more information). As you may remember, I had a little write-up about his music in a past column. Well, he has been selected to attend the SCMC Music Conference in Greensboro, South Carolina on July 29th. There will be lots of goodies to bid on and some performances by local talent. It should be a great night, but will be soon as he’ll be leaving before the end of the month. Check out his stuff at reverbnation.com/bigtybeatdowns.
And if you’re up for even more excitement, join us to celebrate the launching of That Which Makes Us Haida-The Haida Language book that features beautiful portraits of fluent Haida speakers by noted photographer Farah Nosh (www.farahnosh.com). Opening ceremonies/book launch will begin at 7pm on Friday July 29th at the Kaay, followed by a DVD screening of Sinxii Gangu- Sound Gambling Sticks. It should be a very proud evening for all those who took part, and for everyone in this community. I hope it stirs some people to begin language lessons at S.H.I.P in the fall! The only way to learn is from the elders.  
Just a quick note while on the subject of language; when I was at Saint Mary’s University I took part in a small class of students wanting to learn Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic). Our teacher was a mostly-fluent speaker (there are very few left, most in Cape Breton, NS) and he used the TIP method (Total Immersion Plus). In class, we would try only to speak Gaidhlig, covered basic everyday things, and used LOTS of repetition. They also have weekend-intensive courses. Much like the Haida language, it is struggling to survive but it is making a comeback with the youth. Anyone interested in Gaidhlig should take a look at this project www.cainntmomhathar.com. It’d be a great project for S.H.I.P to work on next!
Alright, and last but not least, the birthdays of the week! Sending wishes to Ashley Knapton who celebrated on July 7th and to Deedee Crosby on July 8th. Also to Aria Price who turned 4 on July 9th, and to Ryan Goetzinger who celebrated on July 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment