Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Who...... lives in a pineapple under the sea?

No, in the OTHER pineapple. You don't know? Well, I'll tell you who used to live there...the octopus we had for lunch yesterday! Yes, folks, I had octopus for lunch. Willingly. Go me!

We went next door, to Nuni's house, yesterday to wish her a Happy Birthday. Noora was all dressed up in her flowery, cream-coloured party dress. We had a tray of cupcakes adorned with purple buttercream icing and silver balls. We had the birthday card marked with Noora's little green footprints. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY NUNI". "Hahaha, it's not today, it's tomorrow". I looked at Willie....the kid is 30...you'd think he'd know which day his mother's birthday fell on. But oh well! Now I know (and I will remember..hopefully!). The early surprise wasn't for nothing, though. Nuni ooh'ed and awww'ed over Noora's dress and the card. The cupcakes were put into the fridge to keep until today (minus one...Willie's nephew was there). And we had a great visit while Nuni was on her lunchbreak. Lunch....

Innocent-looking stir fry. Rice and some kind of meat. We hadn't planned to eat there but Willie's mom insisted I try some. Hmmmm....What kind of stir fry was it? Well, on Haida Gwaii...the answer can be terrifying. On today's menu....octopus. EWWWW. Those things are all wiggly and scary-looking and just....ew...not something I really want to eat. But, of course, my brain piped up, It'd be good for your blog, uh huh....alright, I'll try it...

I grabbed a fork, fished out a big chunk of what I would pretend was chicken, and held it up to my mouth. Willie's mother came over to witness. I took a deep breath and put it in my mouth. I took it out just as it hit my tongue.....ok, breathe....I can do this...in it went, again.

Hmm....chewy, but not rubbery...the flavour wasn't fishy or too salty...it actually tasted..good! The only thing I didn't enjoy was the feeling of my teeth sticking to the meat, but I stopped thinking about it and carried on. Mmmmm...this is really good! I'm shocked! As usual...Oh what will I eat next? Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. octopus is interesting, I had it at the Dragon King buffet...and baby squid. They taste about the same. But I'm not terrified of squid. I watched a documentary on CBC (possibly the Nature of things?) on how intelligent an octopus is. They can camoflauge in a second, not only to the same colour as its surroundings, but also mimics the texture. It freaked Greg and I out. They are scary creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a piece on them in the BBC Life series. They are quite intelligent! Willie has caught one before...apparently if their beak gets you, it can rip you apart...and once they're flipped inside-out and all that, the bodies will keep moving for quite a while. Ick!!! Octopus hunting is not something I plan to do for the sake of this blog!! Scary stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are embracing the lifestyle. Octopus...so impressive...so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete