Monday, September 13, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Saturday on Haida Gwaii: Rain....

From 6am (possibly earlier...it was storming when Noora first woke up) until 7:30pm or so...steady, heavy rain with big gusts of wind. I'm not talking about a light shower, or even heavy rain (well, according to Nova Scotia weather)...this was completely different. When it rains on Haida Gwaii....boy, oh boy does it rain. In Nova Scotia we know how to do snow...here, they know how to do rain, and they do it well! It still blows my mind. Oh, and when it DOES stop..it stops. Done. Over. Like it never happened. I noticed an odd silence this evening and, sure enough, upon looking out the window...blue skies, clouds, and a slight breeze. Now...you might think that's how all storms go..they start, get worse, taper off, and end. The storms on this island don't waste their time. They show up loud and proud, and when they're done...they leave, unannounced. Haha, sounds like Willie's family (although I much prefer them to storms).

Lucky for us, we have a glorious wood stove in our new place. It sure had it's work cut out for it today. I'm actually quite glad we let it burn out for the night...I was starting to wish I was outside! Wow, it gets hot! Another good thing about the storm...it brought the kitties inside! Ha...they finally gave up their pride and came inside! AND I got to snuggle with all three of them; Pig, Puss and Smeagol (interesting names...I may petition for Puss and Smeagol to switch names...Smeagol isn't the shifty character her name portrays). We also had Willie's mom and nephew come by and hang out in their pyjamas. Later in the afternoon, Willie's sister came over and we had a good visit..again, in pyjamas. All in all, a very lazy day.

Well, lazy for us...the storm apparently still had energy to burn because around 8:30pm it started back up. Now, at 1am it's still going strong. The fire is burning out slowly. The kitties are all asleep. The dishes are done. And everyone is asleep but me....hopefully the rain and wind will lull me to sleep...
...
....
......
Good night!
*********
UPDATE: This blog was originally going to be posted late Saturday evening...but I ran into MORE technical difficulties. Maybe this house is just cursed, who knows. Saturday my poor laptop, the senior citizen she is, decided to slip into a coma and she will not come out...it's now Monday and the computer shop isn't open..yay for small towns, right? Well...Willie felt bad about the laptop (he was the last to touch her...something about downloading an anti-virus program? Whatever it was, was too much for her to handle), so he asked for his sister's desktop (which they do not use because they can't seem to get the internet to work at her place). After lugging the monstrosity to our house, we set it up, and I, the computer genius that I am on occasion, got the internet working. YAY!

Well....it froze around 1am and upon turning it on Sunday...it was prompting for a system disc in order to finish booting up. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I've just about had it with computers right now. Willie's sister didn't have a disc because she got the computer second-hand...and I'm pretty sure it has Windows 98 or 2000...so we couldn't track down a disc. I spent the day reading and doing research instead.

Monday morning, Willie's sister comes by. We told her what had happened and she said there was another tower at her house. We lug the even bigger monstrosity down to our house and hook it up...the mouse doesn't work and neither does the internet. So, my computer genius kicks in again, and BAM! Internet is up and running. I started this update using keyboard commands to open, scroll and click but Willie came to my rescue with the mouse from his mom's place. Temporary fix, as I'm sure someone will be missing it later on today...but at least I'll get a few posts in before that happens.

Sorry for the posting delays...I'll try and make it up today!! Cheers :)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that the computer your using now also crashed :) that was a nightmare week wasn't it? Love you :)

    ReplyDelete