Monday, September 13, 2010

Who Done It?

Sgwansing.Sding.Hlgunuhl...Haaw'a
Aon. Dha. Tri....Tapadh leat.

Did anyone understand the words above? No? Really...no one...hmm, well that's not TOO surprising. Our European ancestors tried very hard to rid the earth of such heathen languages. Thankfully, there are a few people, though very old, who have kept a tight grip on their heritage. Better yet, there are people as curious as I am who want to take on the challenge of learning a "dead" language. The opening sentances simply read: One, two, three...thank you, first in Hlgaagilda Xaayda Kil (Haida) and Gaidhlig (Gaelic).

So, what do the two languages have in common? Well...they're both super hard to spell...and to speak, haha. But there are lots of similarities between the Highlanders of Scotland and the Haida of the Canadian Northwest Coast. They were both considered savages by the Europeans. They were both exiled. They were both forbidden to speak their native language. Their artwork and music became mass produced for the outside world. Unfortunately, many of the similarities are tragic in nature. There are similarities that are lighter. Both musical styles thrive with the beat of the drum. Their traditional dress is beautiful and well-crafted (and keeps the weather out!). Both tribes had a strong social network. Both tribes boasted strong, fierce warriors. They were both highly adapted to their environments. They were both thriving, hearty tribes...until the Europeans, decided to make them into respectable members of society.

That's right...my beloved British tried to wipe out two of the greatest tribes in the world (well, that's my opinion, anyway). I guess they don't have to feel that badly about the whole thing...I mean, they weren't the first to do this kind of thing. It seems to be the nature of humans everywhere to get rid of those who are different. We are scared of that which is different. Why? Who knows...it's a silly thing to fear, really. I mean...different gives you an opportunity to learn. Are we scared to learn? Hmmm...something to think about.

Actually, forget the British...if the Church hadn't been given so much power back in the day maybe the Europeans wouldn't have been so scared of these "savages" and their "heathen" or "pagan" ways. Well, unfortunately, that's in the past. We cannot go back. We cannot fix it. We cannot apologize (I mean, really...it wasn't our generation so our apologies do not count). What we can do is stop being afraid of different. We can seek out different and learn from it. Or, for the really curious like myself, we can try and bring a piece of what's been lost back from the dust and pass it onto our kids. Learning Gaelic isn't going to win me any medals, nor is learning Haida...but I really enjoyed taking Gaelic at Saint Mary's University. It was fun, it was a challenge, and it felt right. I felt like a tiny piece of my heritage was coming through (and it is tiny...the Scottish roots are way back but they ARE there). I love the way Ciamar a tha thu rolls right off my tongue. And yes, a part of me loves being part of the very few who have the gaidhlig.

As for learning Haida..well...it'll be a challenge BUT something I learned in Gaelic class is, it's best to use what you learn as much as possible so you get used to hearing it. Well, I think I'm in the right place for that. There is a language program just down the road, and even the daycare has "Haida Time" for parents and children. And the most important thing about it is, I'm doing it for my girl.

Last evening I read an essay by Bill Reid called Haida Means Human Being from Solitary Raven:Selected Writings of Bill Reid. One paragraph really stood out, and I'd like to share it with you:

                             Fine, beautiful, potentially brilliant boys and girls who should be leaders,
                             not only in their own small communities, but in the wider world as well,
                             are wandering confused and undirected from meaningless episode to
                             meaningless episode of their meaningless lives. (p.143)

Here he was referring to the kids growing up in the new world, a place void of the old ways, a place without the importance placed upon learning the culture, traditions, language, etc. The old societies, whether Gaelic or Haida or whatever, seemed to have it right...you only have to look in the newspaper to see the results of the new ways. I do not want my girl to grow up feeling as if a piece of her is missing, wandering around confused, trying to find her way back I'll be able to give her a proper headstart, inshallah.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Honey great post, they are getting more and more gripping, your onto something here, people are enjoying what your doing:)

    ReplyDelete