Friday, September 10, 2010

Face in the Fire

Do any of you believe in signs? I do. I believe we are shown signs for many reasons but especially if we're not quite on the path we're meant to be on. As I stated in the previous post, I believe I'm a healer. It's not only something that interests me, it's something I've been doing for many years. I remember my grandmother saying I should be a nurse because I'm so good with old folk like her, and I really care. Come to think of it, my other grandmother said something along the same lines because I was always helping her out when she wasn't well or had broken her wrist. I remember reading somewhere that the things that come natural to some are skills and gifts others only wish they had. I thought taking care of someone, especially an elder or child, was just something you did. But it turns out that many people don't have that 'gift'. I can think of several people who would rather jump out a window than take care of someone dying of cancer (and yes, I have done that as well). I'm not saying you're a better person for not wanting to jump out that window...I'm just saying it didn't occur to me that it was an option.

But back to the signs. I've had the personal experiences such as taking care of my grandmothers or the lady with cancer or a few sick kids, but I never thought anything of it. Over the past few years, I have become more interested in medicine and healing. Since I made a concious decision to learn some stuff, I find I've been shown different things that may help on my journey.

For example, I attended a meeting about nutrition in First Nations communities last fall and, thanks to a door prize, went home with a book called Plants and Medicines of Sophie Thomas, a Sai'Kuz Elder and Healer. I also met and became friends with my neighbour, Anne, who was very much into natural remedies and home-grown foods, etc. It was through her I acquired a book called Wise Woman, Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun S. Weed. More recently, I attended the Chief Membertou Powwow in Halifax, NS and became the proud owner of a beautifully beaded medicine pouch (I had gone to the booth to look at the bear grease because I knew you could use it to make ointments...stinky, but effective). I also came across a program called Medicine Woman on Vision TV, where a young Canadian doctor travels around the globe in search of traditional medicines used by different cultures (http://www.visiontv.ca/Media/Releases/medicine_woman_aug15.html). Through one of these episodes, I found out about a book called Coyote Healing by Lewis Mehl-Madrona which deals with Native American traditional medicines. I have not found a copy of the book but I know it will come when I'm ready to read it.

One of the weirdest things that has happened occured last Friday evening. I was sitting in the living room with Willie's cousin, relaxing while she was on the computer. I glanced over at the wood stove to see if more wood was needed and I saw a face staring out of the glass. I looked away and looked back to see if it was still there. Yup...CREEPY. I asked Kristy if she saw the face....she didn't...great, now I'm going crazy! She kept looking but she didn't see it. I said I would draw what I saw and THEN maybe she'd see it. I took a few moments and did a pretty detailed sketch of the face peering out of the flames, then I handed it to her. "Oh my God, it's a shaman", was her reply. My eyes just got huge and I made her say it again. Ha....now I KNOW I'm going crazy. What on earth was a shaman doing in my fire?? The nerve. She drew what she saw...it wasn't the face...it looked like a bird's head...I looked into the fire again...yup, he's still there. I asked her if it was a good or bad sign to see a shaman in the fire..she didn't know. Hmm, it didn't feel like a bad thing...I didn't feel creeped out (well, after the intial shock), so I decided it was just another sign.

I've asked a few other people their thoughts on the visitor but noone seemed alarmed. I guess he just wanted to let me know I was off-course and needed to get back to my journey. I think moving across country and being a first-time Mom is good reason to get off-track...but I'll do my best to learn and incoporate the old ways into my life. The onions were a good start!

Haida Shaman Mask, http://firstpeoplesofcanada.com/fp_groups/fp_nwc5.html

2 comments:

  1. Skidegate is a very spiritual place hunny bunny, and I think you'll get a good start here for the natural path thing. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete