Thursday, August 26, 2010

Here, fishie, fishie!

Today was very relaxing for me. Noora and I slept (in between feedings) until noon and kept up the lazy pace all afternoon. I read some of my book, The Happiness Project (which I highly recommend..it's amazing), and she napped. Some housework was accomplished...at a very drawn-out pace. I'm still doing laundry at 10pm but that's ok with me!

I spent some of my relaxation time doing research for my blog. I have ideas for entries popping my head all the time, especially late at night. I thought...it's all well and good to write about stuff, but I should research some ideas more so I can pass on the knowledge to my readers. Plus, it helps me learn more and that was my main goal when I started blogging!

So.......what to research....
.......hmmmm......so many options....
...too bad all of my information will have to come from the internet.....
maybe it would be easier to do this blogging when I'm actually back in Skidegate....
.....wow, I'm good at procrastinating!

After my brain got on board with my inital plan, I decided on a topic. Food! What's better than talking about food?!

Usually the answer to that is nothing! This time my answer is anything.....*shudders*. See, the thing I learned early on about the Haida diet, traditionally and currently, is it consists of ALOT of seafood. Salmon, especially. Now, most of you may ask, what could possibly be wrong with that? My best friend would DIE if she was able to eat seafood 90% of the time! So would many other people, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I would probably die if I DID have to eat it 90% of the time. Fish and I have never been friends...not even mere acquaintances, really.

How is this possible? Didn't I grow up on the East Coast? Isn't lobster one of Nova Scotia's biggest sellers? Why do I despise fish? Maybe I was adopted...yes...that must be it!

One of the first things I remember Nuni Pat asking me when I arrived in Skidegate is, "Do you like lobster?" I felt terrible when I had to look her in the eye and say no...it felt like I was telling a child that I ran over Santa Claus!  Seriously, what's wrong with me! You'd think I could fake it...but no. I had moved to the Salmon capital of the world and I didn't want anything to do with it. Pass the Kraft Dinner, please!

My first fishy meal came a few days after I arrived when Auntie Ruthie invited me to lunch at the career office. I was excited to spend more time with Willie and I heard she was an amazing cook..so I arrived with a rumbling tummy. Halibut with an asiago cream sauce. Oh crap! But...being rude is not something I enjoy, so I took a small piece.

First bite.....I tried to swallow it without chewing because I knew that would release any fishy taste lurking under the sauce...it's just chicken, I thought...ok, success! I swallowed.

Second bite...I chewed a tiny bit...hmmmm, no fishy taste...I let myself taste the sauce and feel the texture of the fish. Huh....it's not bad! I swallowed with a smile that time.

.....

I even asked for seconds!!! One thing about Auntie Ruthie's cooking...an army could stop by unexpectedly and they would be fed! Okay, so maybe fish isn't so bad after all. Maybe I'll even try salmon next.

Have you ever heard the say "Be careful what you wish for"? Yes, well, salmon presented itself on my plate at Willie's mother's house. There was skin on it....I held back the urge to vomit because that would most definitely be considered rude. Here goes....open the hatch and in you go....

Well, I had to admit it, but even though it did have a fishy taste it was pretty tasty! I think I even finished my piece before Willie finished his! Ha! I'm a convert! I LOVE FISH!!! Well....no...that's going a bit far. Pregnancy didn't help me get over my dislike of fish because even the word "fish" would send me to the toilet. So....most of my fish experiences happed before July/August and after February of this year. One thing I do NOT think I'll try and get cozy with is gao (fish eggs)....I had some on a piece of seaweed which Willie's mom called "Haida chips". ICK!! It was very salty. I'm not a fan of salt. Plus the fact I knew it was fish eggs made me feel gross.

I am optimistic for my future in fish-eating, though. I have been pushing myself to try more things like fish chowder (which was AMAZING...if you're ever at Salty's on the Pictou waterfront, try it...mmm) and scallops (they're ok...), and shrimp (yum!) and I'm happy to report, I've made several fish dishes myself! I can do this!! I even went a step further and introduced it to Noora at my friend's wedding. She loved it and has had more since then. I think she prefered the smoked salmon! In the back of my mind, I could hear Nuni Pat say "you have to get your baby eating fish from an early age, it's part of her heritage". At the time I wasn't very open to the thought and said it was Willie's department....

Noora and I have had more fish than Daddy this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment