Friday, August 20, 2010

A Bit About Me!

Happy Friday everyone!

This is the first entry of my new blog, White Raven Returns, so I decided to introduce myself and my "project".

Hmm...let's start from the top. It's January 2009 and I'm so SICK of men that I decide to swear off dating until I find someone who's actually worth spending time and love on. It's a big change for me and, quite frankly, a bit scary! Being alone until whoknowswhen.....*shudders*.

I was in Halifax at the time, visiting one of my best friends at Saint Mary's University. We were up one night relaxing, chatting, and watching television. During a commercial break, an ad for EHarmony came on...you know, the one with the couples who are SO cute they make you feel sick to your stomach? Yup...those ones! So my friend suggests that we go onto the website and fill out the questionnaire for fun. She was dating someone at the time and I had sworn off men, so I figured, hmmm why not? I took my time and was brutally honest...and I mean brutal! For example, out of all the guys I had dated only one was blonde and blue eyed (not a bad guy, just wasn't my type) so I excluded them from my search. Same went for "bald", "under 25", "caucasians" (again...nothing personal, again, just not my type), "smokers" and "drinkers" (well, occasional was fine).

Then came the hard questions about what I was like and what I wanted in a partner. What happened to the fun??? It took quite a while to finish the survery but it had my attention and I was determined to finish. Then came the big moment....they were about to show me all the men in North America (because I had been too picky on where Prince Charming lived) who matched my request.

....

Five profiles appeared. Yup.....five. Out of the entire male population, on EHarmony, in North America. Seriously??? Was I that picky? *sigh* Well....I was disappointed because my friend received numerous pages of matches...lucky thing! What to do now...it was all "just for fun", right? I took a peek at the first profile and I was actually really interested to find out more....same with the second...and the third...hmmm, maybe there's something to this afterall, I thought!

SETBACK! You had to pay in order to see the photos and to communicate with the matches. UGH...now what? I did something that was so uncharacteristic of me; I still do not understand it to this day. I pulled out my almost-maxed-out credit card and paid for a one-month subscription. SUCCESS!!!!

I went back to the profile of the first match and it was love at first glance. He was HANDSOME, had a beautiful smile, crazy curly hair, and a very warm glow. All of his pictures showed the same thing. I was shocked! On paper, and now in picture, this man was perfect! How do they do that? I guess I hadn't been too picky, afterall!

So the communication started, and in a few days we were exchanging emails. February 2, 2009 we had our first MSN session, which lasted all afternoon and resulted in our first phonecall that evening. We talked for hours! Everyday! Never ran out of things to talk about. This was real, I thought. I was terrified that the one thing I wanted, I had found. I made the decision to pick up everything and move to Haida Gwaii, BC, where he lived. On March 31 I arrived at the airport, dropped my baggage, and ran into his arms.

May 3-he proposed...and I accepted.

June 4-I received a call from the doctor saying I was pregnant (shocking, because I had been told I could not have kids when I was 16....).

Fast-forward to today.....August 2010.We're still together, after MANY life-changing events, fights, make-ups, and love. We have a beautiful six month old daughter. We have been living in Nova Scotia for the past nine months. And we are now heading back to Haida Gwaii so she can meet her other family.

A simple just-for-fun activity has led to the most emotional experiences of my life and I wouldn't change a thing.

The purpose of my blog is to record the everyday occurances of our brand new family, the challenges of living in a remote area, and the excitement of the unknown. My fiance is Haida and I am not, haha. Our daughter is half. SO.....it's important to us that she knows her culture! I intend to learn as much as I can, for myself and so I can pass it on to her.

And that is our story.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story, I've read it more than once too. You are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks. It's a pretty good story...one I thought I would read about, not live through. I always think other people are more interesting than me...but I guess it works both ways :)

    ReplyDelete