Friday, February 18, 2011

Skidegate Socialite

Weekly Column for February 17, 2010:

Wait! Are we seriously in the middle of February already? But we just had Christmas. And I know this because our tree is still standing – barely – in the living room. It was such a beautiful tree (Hawa'a to Carla Russ and Marina Berthiaume) and it was my first grown-up tree. I decided when to put it up and I decided when to take it down. Unfortunately, the All Native tournament happened on its' designated day to leave. It had to endure a few more days in the playpen, but it will be gone this week. Makes for a great fire-starter, though!
Thank you, also, to everyone who has read this column and given me feedback. I am honoured to keep you up to date, as much as possible, on the news and events in Skidegate. It's a nice ego boost to hear I'm doing a good job. So, keep reading and keep the comments coming – I just hope my head doesn't get too big. If you have any news to pass along, do not hesitate to stop me on the street, or email me at whiteravenreturns@gmail.com.
Now, I'm sure you have all heard the results from the All Native Basketball Tournament by now. Our Saints, both Intermediate and Senior, all did wonderfully. We have all been glued to our radios and computers, cheering our boys on. Those of us who made it to Prince Rupert must have had quite the show! The Intermediate boys ended up losing a second battle to Friendship House, placing 5th in their division and the Senior boys battled it out with their home-town rivals, Masset Seniors, losing only by a few points and placing 6th. Everyone here on Haida Gwaii is proud of what our Saints have accomplished at this year's tournament. And I can't speak for all of the other baller's wives, but I am very happy to have my player home. Now, we need to make up for missing Noora's first birthday! I'm sure she will forgive him.
Another exciting event took place at the All Native Tournament in Prince Rupert this past week;the launching of the book, B is for Basketball. Len Arens stood in for his mom Joanne Yovanovich who could not make it out of Masset due to bad weather. It was a complete success and we will have a launch here in Skidegate at the K'aay Centre on Saturday February 19, from 4-7 pm. Come help us celebrate with Joanne Yovanovich, Beng Favreau, Alison Gear, Tawny Davidson and illustrator Judy Hilgemann. Savoury treats and cake will be served, and there may even be a reading by a few of the Saints! You may even be lucky enough to score an autograph! Don't forget to congratulate any Saint you may see on his hard work and dedication displayed in this year's tournament.
Happy Birthday to Brayden Hill, who celebrated his first birthday on February 13th, Cenita Sankey who celebrated her 6th birthday with friends and family February 12th, and Happy Birthday to Marina Berthiaume who celebrated her birthday on February 14th. Speaking of February 14th, I hope everyone survived Valentine's Day! No, I'm kidding. It's not as bad as I make it out to be. Commercial, yes, but the meaning is there. Although, I believe Jerry Seinfeld stated the last thing he associates with romance is a toddler in a diaper coming at him with a weapon. Hmm, I have to agree! But I sincerely hope your day was full of love and happiness, and maybe even a little chocolate.
In other news, I am either going crazy, or I have been spotting penguins on Haida Gwaii. I swear I saw one sitting on a rock in Tlell a few weeks ago, and again on a rock just before entering Skidegate on February 13th. If anyone else has seen one, or even knows if this is possible, please let me know. I also spotted a black eagle by the mailbox in Skidegate last weekend. What is this world coming to?
A big Hawa'a to Jennifer Pigeon for helping us SunRunners warm up with some Sun Salutations this past Sunday. We are four weeks into our training and need all the warming up we can get. We were soaked at the end of our workout but it felt good (until the stiffness set in because I did not take the time to stretch). Thank you to Sue Gladstone for keeping time and making light of a cold and rainy situation. I hope to see all of the regulars back next Sunday at 9:30am to join us for more yoga and sunshine, hopefully.
For anyone who has seen the kayaks gliding through our waters on Sunday afternoons, you too can take part. Lessons take place in front of the S.H.I.P building on Sundays until February 27 from 2-4pm (Saturdays from 2-4pm for youth). The cost is $20.00. Seems like a great way to spend your afternoon. Check out www.qcirec.com for more information.
And so ends another week in Skidegate!

No comments:

Post a Comment