Saturday, February 12, 2011

Skidegate Socialite

Weekly column for February 10, 2011

Spring is in the air, Skidegate. On Groundhog Day in Nova Scotia, our resident celebrity Shubenacadie Sam did not see his shadow! Perhaps it is only superstition, and yes, most of the worst snowstorms happen in February and March at home, but he has been in the business for quite some time. I choose to be optimistic and I'm sure all of you are looking forward to longer days and warmer nights. If that isn't enough to get you in the spring spirit, don't forget that Copper Bay season will soon be upon us. So, enjoy the last of your peppered fish, patch up your nets, and maybe take a drive over to make sure your cabins & properties are ready for business.
While we're on the subject of fishing, I'd like to thank everyone who was a part of the celebration of life honouring Jesse Jones (30) on Sunday. He was truly a pirate, a free-spirit, had great taste in music, and as his mother Patti says, “handsome”. George Cuthbert, of West Coast Resorts, announced a fund which has been set up to help those who want to go from “drawing stick figures doing inappropriate things” to carving Haida masks, paddles, and totem poles. It is currently at $10,000. A big Hawa'a to everyone at West Coast Resorts for all the support they have given to Jesse's family.
Another cause for celebration comes from the Skidegate Saints. They left for the 2011 All Native Tournament in Prince Rupert, along with the Intermediates, and I am happy to report the Seniors won their first game on Sunday afternoon, and will continue to fight their way up the ladder, with Coach Robert Russ. The Intermediates will play Monday morning, so good luck to all of you. If you would like to see what's happening, tune into the live video feed on the CFNR website (http://www.classicrockcfnr.ca/index.php/sports/all-native-tournament/the-2011-all-native-basketball-tournament/ ).
Before the boys left, they did some fund-raising and were quite successful. I attended my first-ever Haida Gwaii Loonie/Toonie auction Thursday evening. It was so much fun, although I did not win the jigsaw I wanted. Thank you to Sera Russ for teaching me how to play. I had no idea you could ask for multiple tickets – you can even pick the colours! Congratulations to Yvette Adams for winning the 50/50 prize of over $600. Also, don't forget that once this big tournament is over, the junior boys and girls will continue to fund-raise for their trip to Penticton for the Junior All Native Basketball Tournament being held March 20-25.
On Saturday evening, I had to choose between a reading by Margaret Atwood and partner Graeme Gibson at the Kaay Centre and UFC at Geoff & Tanya Alton's. Well, I chose to attend the reading and I sent Willie & Noora to watch the fights. It worked out quite well. I heard Noora stole the show and she seemed to be enjoying herself when I arrived, and I had a wonderful time at the Kaay. I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with Graeme Gibson's work before Saturday evening, I told him this during intermission, but I absolutely loved his opinions and interest in nature. He mentioned “forest bathing” as a form of therapy which turns out to be how I lived as a child – in the forest for long periods of time to help lift your spirits. I cannot wait to pick up his books and get reading! Margaret Atwood was equally as wonderful, reading several selections and closing with a song from her book, After the Flood. During the question & answer period, I asked how they came to be writers and I received two very different responses. Mr. Gibson is not a fan of writing, but did so to convey his opinions to others, and Ms. Atwood began as a child, trading comic books with her brother whom she considers a far better writer than herself. I left their presence full of inspiration and excitement, knowing one day I could be in their shoes.
While on the topic of books, I should mention that there are new shelves and deskspace at the Kuugin King Naay library, courtesy of the Northern Savings Credit Union Board sponsorship. You can check out all of the newly organized books, as well as a cup of tea or coffee – possibly even a treat – on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10-5pm , as well as on Sundays from 2-8pm. The Homework Club meets on Wednesdays from 6-9pm. So, stop in and join Nicola. Help make our library “The Space and Place to Learn”!
To add to our birthday greetings, we're wishing Chloe Sosick a very happy first birthday on February 7th. And so ends another busy week in Skidegate. Email me with any news, whiteravenreturns@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment