Thursday, February 3, 2011

Skidegate Socialite

Weekly column for Feb 3, 2011:


Well, this past week has been a busy one! I shouldn't complain, though. I had lots of time to myself even if Willie, Noora and I were all sick! Luckily it was only a cold and we're almost back to normal now! I hope all of you who have suffered with the flu this season are on the mend! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the community who is going through a rough patch with their health. I just hope the hospital food is better here in Charlotte than in Vancouver. Auntie Mary (Wilson) did not have many good things to say on that subject when she returned home this week! So maybe if you're passing by this week, you might bring something yummy in for Diane Brown, or someone else who may be suffering from bland food syndrome!
“Welcome Back!” to our minister at Skidegate United Church, Nancy O'Higgins and her husband, Eric. They have returned from a busy month-long cycling holiday in Vietnam. Before you get too jealous, I might mention it was probably warmer here than in North Vietnam by the sounds of things! Brrr! I can't wait to see all of the pictures of fog Nancy has promised! We have had lots of fun while they were gone, thanks to Mavis Mark and the other gals who volunteered to lead the services! It was also nice to see Pearl back in church today and I hope to see Thelma back soon! We enjoyed a very casual Camping Sunday with hotdogs, s'mores and lots of fun songs like the Bear Hunt song lead by Sandra Morgan!
And farewell to our new friend, Yota, who has served many a coffee at Jags Beanstalk. Have a safe journey across Canada and back to Japan! I hope we see you back on our islands soon! Make sure you drink from St. Mary's Spring and you'll definitely make it back here one day!
I am happy to see the creative encouragement our kids are getting at school! My nephew, Antony Amero, along with the rest of his grade 1 class at Sk'aadgaa Naay Elementary, was given the task of creating a Mouse Woman storybook with his family. Well...I won't say it was all fun and games, but after some creative thinking and strategic cutting and pasting, Arcade Inferno was born. Fire Eagle, Flaming Raven and Super Bat save Skidegate from an evil Dragonfly, with the help of Mouse Woman and a bug net. It took myself, Willie, Carla (Mom),and Antony as well as Nuni Brenda and Chinni Ding supplying coffee and food, but it was a great chance to bond and create something special! So, Haaw'a to Ms. Jung, and I encourage everyone to help their kids create an amazing story when your turn comes!
In basketball news, the mystery of the disappearing Skidegate Senior Saints' jerseys was solved when they turned up in Port Clements. The boys were very happy to see them and will be putting them to good use in the upcoming weeks. The 50/50 and soup/sandwich lunch was a success Sunday afternoon during the Turkey Shoot at the George Brown Rec. Hall. The Seniors will also be holding a dinner and Loonie Toonie Auction at the Skidegate community hall Thursday evening.
There was a slight disturbance here on Second Avenue Friday. All of the bushes have been cut away from the road to, I assume, improve visibility. Well, the chainsaws did not stop there. Now all the “privacy bushes” have been cut down and we're feeling pretty exposed. But, what's done is done, I just wish they would have done more planning and asked permission from homeowners before stripping bushes/trees from their properties. I guess I will have to hunt elsewhere for salmon berries this year!
It is with a heavy heart that I write this next bit. Our community of Skidegate has suffered another loss this week. Jesse Jones, 29, died while in Thailand. I had not met him, but Willie had gone to school with him. He told me Jesse was one of the most talented people he knew growing up, a free spirit, loved traveling and would be greatly missed. I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends, and I know our beautiful community will help them through this time of great sorrow. Skidegate is a special place. Sometimes when you are grieving, it is not what people say but simply their presence that helps you heal, and here you are never alone.
In times of sorrow, we look for things to lift our spirits, and so I thought I would close this week's column with a few birthdays we have celebrated in the past week and some that are coming up. A very special Happy Birthday goes out to Marcus Moraes who will be celebrating his very first birthday on February 2nd, and to Noora Russ who will be celebrating her very first birthday on February 9th, and please wish all other babies celebrating this month a Happy Birthday because the first year is a wonderful achievement! New words, new teeth, and new foods...whew, it's exhausting! Others celebrating birthdays are Nika Collison (Jan.), Dave Brock (Jan.), Kristen Moraes, Dan Burton, Jesse Wilson, and Heather Crosby. If you'd like your birthday added in, please email me (whiteravenreturns@gmail.com).
Well, that ends another week here in Skidegate. Enjoy the Sun, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment