Friday, October 1, 2010

The Green Mile (well...2500 square miles!)

One thing I love about Haida Gwaii is that is so green and luscious. Everyday, rain or shine, everything is green. When I look at the view from my front deck, I am so thankful I can live in a place that is so rich with natural beauty. Coming from Nova Scotia, I'm used to a change in scenery once in a while. Spring adds green to the boring winter colour scheme, summer adds a touch more colour to the fresh view of spring, and fall smashes it right out of the park with the beautiful reds, oranges, and yellows of the changing leaves.

BUT...

One thing I hate about Haida Gwaii is that is so green...yup, thanks to the infamous BC Bud. Marijuana. I'm not here to tell anyone they're a bad person for smoking pot. I honestly do not care what people do in their own time, in their own houses. However, I have a big problem when it crosses over into my life. Smoking pot is so "normal" here that it almost seems like Willie and I are social outcasts for not taking part in it (same goes with drinking). I will say I have tried it in the past out of curiousity but it ended there. I don't enjoy the smell. I don't like how it affects your brain (especially in long-term users). I do not like the fact it leads to harsher drugs (cocaine is kinda big here too, apparently...).And don't even get me started on all of the dealers around...not nice people. So, my big challenge here it seems is to separate the person from the problem. I will admit it's a bit hard to do when I feel very little respect for people who make alcohol and drugs the most important thing in their lives. Really, what's the point? Can't we just have fun without the addition of beer cans and joints? *sigh*

I will say that for the most part, people respect our choice of living drug-free. Yes, we'll have a drink on occasion but they are far and few between. I do not intend on bringing Noora up in that kind of environment. I did not grow up like that, and I'd like to think I turned out okay (for the most part, haha). I have heard stories from Willie and others (not just who live here..unfortunately, drugs are everywhere) and I'm not sorry I grew up how I did. I thankfully missed the "party" gene and did not get into too much trouble growing up and in university. That's just how I roll. It does kinda bother me when the family starts to disapper outside to smoke up when we're having a simple dinner....where's the togetherness, well, for us who don't smoke?

But...everyone has a choice. I feel more guarded coming back now, only because I do not want our daughter exposed to things she has no business knowing of. I also do not want her in the company of anyone who isn't sober....hello, safety issue! That being said, I do not want to cut ourselves off from anyone. So...I'mma do me...and remember to separate the person from the problem. Wish me luck!

(Again, only a vent...not trying to make anyone feel bad. I want to stress that the marijuana or alcohol isn't what I have an issue with, so much as how it is used, or abused. Also, don't bring it in my house and don't do it around me and my daughter! Please and thank you.)

1 comment:

  1. Noora is lucky to have a mother who is strong in her identity. I'm cheering for YOU in the arena of social challenges on Haida Gwaii!

    ReplyDelete