Friday, March 11, 2011

Copper Bay Road - Less Than Shiny!

The long and winding road in Copper Bay - a more polished section!
Noora and I boarded the ferry yesterday to bring Willie home, finally. We had made the same journey to Sandspit the previous day, only to be told mid-passage that the flight from Vancouver had been cancelled - again! This has been a re-occurring problem for a month, at least. It seems as if we are getting winter storms now that spring is upon us. Several friends and family members have been storm-stayed in Vancouver for one, two or five days. And those lucky enough to make it to Sandspit have run the risk of being stuck in a much-less accommodating place due to rough seas. At least in Vancouver they could get a warm place to stay and food after 6pm. Well, lucky for us, Willie was with us when we made the journey back to Skidegate this time.

Now, because I was quite confident he would be on the flight home, and Noora had fallen asleep on the short drive to the airport, I decided I would go see an old friend while I waited. I hadn't been back to Copper Bay since going there for fishing season almost two years ago. I wasn't sure what I would find, or if it would look the same, but I went anyway. Armed with a Diet Coke, a bag of Old Dutch Ketchup chips, and a notepad and camera to document my adventure, I swung a left and headed down that old familiar highway.

As I approached the familiar mark where the asphalt ends and the rough gravel road begins, I breathed a sigh of relief and anticipation. Just how bad would the road be? Not too bad, I hoped. I was in my mother-in-law's car with Noora asleep in the back . Ha, who am I kidding? I live for adventures like this. So, I cautiously went forth and found more than a few friendly potholes!
Gorgeous view with the sun finally shining

I am quite certain I could make a lot of money on a video game simulating the Copper Bay Road. Being from Nova Scotia, and a rural part at that, I am no virgin to treacherous roads. In fact, the roads in Colchester County seem to be highlighted in that, you can tell where the county line is just by the audible sigh your car gives when it catches a glimpse of smooth pavement. The dirt roads at home can be in better shape than the paved ones sometimes. Riddle me that! Anyway, only a skilled driver, or clueless adventurer would dare drive the Copper Bay Road now in anything less than a 4X4. But, I quickly mastered the art of pothole dodging and riding on the very edge of the muddy path, and was rewarded with beautiful scenery, a friendly deer, and a blue heron in flight.
Can you spot the deer? She's there!
Beautiful rock on the side of the road
After what seemed to be hours driving down the road, I realized there was a truck behind me, and one up ahead at a cabin, so my nerves eased a bit. At least I could yell for help if I got stuck! Optimism never fails! But after coming across the last of the snow Haida Gwaii is hiding, and only finding more and more potholes, oh and not knowing exactly what time it was, I decided to turn around and make my way to the airport. I went a bit faster, knowing the layout of the holes (and following the fresh swerve marks from the truck and I), and made it to the airport just as Willie and his uncle were walking off the plane. So folks, if you are travelling to Copper Bay to check up on your cabins, why not take some gravel with you and fill some of these pesky holes! It'll be fishing season before we know it!
On the road home

2 comments:

  1. :) Awesome babe! I wish I got to go with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi karyn

    left FB love your blog keep in touch

    love and peace

    d x

    ReplyDelete