Friday, November 5, 2010

Haida Gwaii Blessing

How many of you believe in luck? I think everyone does, even if they will not admit it! Luck is magical, and I think everyone wants to believe there is still magic left in the world. Then again, if you're willing to open your senses, you can find magic anywhere....in the bright colours of the changing leaves in fall....in the mischievous twinkle in the eye of a baby...in the crisp aroma filling the air after a rainstorm...see? You don't need to go to a magic show to see magic! So slow down and look...you'd be surprised what you'll discover.

Now, back to luck...did you all know that it's lucky for a bird to poop on you? HA....I got a good laugh at that one...I think they say that to make you feel better for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then again...birds are not stupid and could probably hold it if they wanted. So, is it really lucky? Everyone I've talked to seems to think so....so I'll trust them. I was the lucky recipient of a good helping of luck on Monday during my previous-posted "whale" hunt. I was told to go buy a lottery ticket..so I did...no money, but I did win a free ticket! I also got a new black shirt that looks really nice on me (Willie's mom gave me a shirt to change into after she noticed that luck had dripped down my back...). AND today....I saw more sea lions!!! (Again, I thought it might have been a whale...but unless it was a smaller, lone whale, I think it was most likely another sea lion...).

Willie's dad is here visiting while the basketball tournament is going on. He's a ref and we're really happy to have him stay with us. Noora just loves him and it's giving Willie a chance to spend time with him. I decided to make some fish hash for our lunch and just as it was almost done I heard, "You're missing the whales!". "WHAT!!!!!!!!" I screamed! I ran into the living room, and sure enough...sea lions on one side, and what appeared to be a lone dorsal fin swimming around. AHHHHHHHHH! Could it be? I ran outside to get a better look. It really really REALLY looked like a whale! Noora and Chini came out to watch with me. We saw about 4 or 5 sea lions bothering the seagulls and splashing around as well. I ran to get the camera JUST in case it was a whale (note to self...need a camera with better zoom...ugh!) I filmed a little bit but there wasn't much action. We watched for a while longer until the rain started to come down harder. I will admit, I was a bit disappointed, but sea lions are better than nothing!

My fish hash had almost burned, but as Chini put it, it was burnt the right way. Mmmm, crispy! It was so tasty that he had seconds and is now sleeping it off...as is Noora! I went back out to see what I could see..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76098662@N00/3017055663/
I saw one of the sea lions come up and do a dive, complete with a big splash. Another made a big splash. I heard more blowing and a bark. They were going nuts trying to catch the seagulls (that'll teach them to go after the herring...not!) It was awesome...I'll keep my eyes on the sea today...who knows what else I'll see! They don't call this Sea Lion Town for nothing!

3 comments:

  1. :) I wish I got to hear the bark, glad you and dad have a such a great time this weekend, I did with him too, hopefully he comes for the next weekend of baskeball too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice stories karen - we miss the ocean so much
    it is such a part of life on haida gwaii.
    i was canoing for hours here on kooteny lake yesterday afternoon and kept deluding myself that i saw a dolphin or a seal - just a wave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ian, I'm sure the ocean misses you all just as much. I'm sad to say I've never been in a canoe and other than swimming last summer, have failed to make the most of the beautiful ocean around! (sight-seeing counts, I suppose...but it could be so much more). Thanks for reading and I hope you are all doing well! Please come home to Haida Gwaii soon!

    ReplyDelete